Armageddon is a 1998 disaster/science fiction-action film about a group of blue-collar deep-core drillers who are sent by NASA to stop an Asteroid on a collision course with the Earth. It was directed by Michael Bay, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and released on Disney's Touchstone Pictures label. It stars Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler and Michael Clarke Duncan.
Armageddon arrived in theatres only two and a half months after a similar impact-based movie, Deep Impact, which starred Morgan Freeman. Astronomers described Deep Impact as being more scientifically accurate, and it was better received by critics , but Armageddon fared better at the box office.
Due to a fire that destroyed the master print of the film, if Armageddon was scheduled to be released in Blu-Ray, it would have to be remastered.
After several meteoroids destroy the Space Shuttle Atlantis and bombard New York City, NASA discovers that an asteroid the size of Texas is on a direct collision course with Earth and will likely wipe out all life on the Earth and destroy the planet. It is not publicly revealed that it will hit the Earth within 18 days. The scientists at NASA devise a plan to activate a nuclear bomb at a precise point under the asteroid's surface which will split it in two and cause it to miss the Earth. NASA locates the best oil driller on the planet, Harry Stamper, to get advice. Harry and Grace (Liv Tyler), his daughter, are taken to NASA and Dan Truman (Billy Bob Thornton), the head of NASA, informs him of the situation. Harry immediately recognizes that he and his crew must accompany the astronauts on the mission to ensure the job is done properly. After Harry's crew is collected from across the country and NASA acquiesces to their demands, they are put through a training program and outfit a drilling rig with the proper equipment for the job.
When a meteorite strikes Shanghai, China, destroying the city and causing a tsunami, around 50,000 people die. At this point, the pending mission is revealed to the world. Two specially designed military shuttles, Freedom and Independence are launched simultaneously and shortly dock at a Russian space station (crewed by Lev Andropov) to refuel. AJ encounters a problem stopping the pumps after the ships tanks are full and the station explodes. The crews and Lev Andropov escape. The two shuttles perform a high G-force slingshot procedure around the Moon to land on the backside of the asteroid. However, as they enter the trailing debris of the asteroid, the Independence is struck and crash lands on the asteroid. The Freedom manages to land on the surface but misses the target landing zone. They land on an area of hard iron which will be difficult to drill through. The Freedom team try to drill but suffer several setbacks and losses due to the unexpected conditions. It is revealed that if the deadline is missed, Colonel Sharpe would activate the nuclear device on the surface. However, a surface explosion would not be sufficient to divert the asteroid from hitting the Earth. Harry is able to convince Colonel Sharpe to help them attempt to finish the job. During this time, another meteorite wipes out much of Paris, France.
All seems lost when their drilling machine is blasted off the asteroid by a gas vent, but the Freedom crew learns that the other team managed to survive the crash thanks to Lev Andropov and have driven the second drilling machine to the drilling site. Harry puts AJ in charge of finishing the drilling and they successfully drill to the necessary depth. The team lowers the bomb into the hole, but find that they can not detonate remotely after a rock storm damages the bomb's trigger, as well as killing one of the crew members. Truman tells the team that someone is going to have to stay behind to activate the bomb to destroy the asteroid. AJ is picked to detonate the bomb remotely after drawing straws, but Harry disables his air supply and takes his place. As the shuttle prepares to depart, Harry sends a final message to his daughter and gives his full support for her to marry AJ. Harry manages to activate the bomb moments before the critical deadline, and the asteroid halves successfully miss the Earth. The remaining crew of the Freedom return to Earth as heroes, AJ reuniting tearfully with Grace while the others are met by their loved ones. Grace and AJ soon marry, while Harry and their lost crew members are memorialized.
* William Fichtner- Colonel Willie Sharp: Pilot of shuttle Freedom.
* Jessica Steen- Jennifer Watts: Co-pilot of shuttle Freedom.
* Grayson McCouch- Gruber: Munitions specialist of shuttle Freedom, killed during rock storm when his helmet's face-plate is smashed open.
* Bruce Willis- Harry Stamper: Protagonist and leader of shuttle Freedom drill team, killed when he stays back to detonate the bomb in order to destroy the asteroid.
* Will Patton- Charles Chapple (Chick): Harry's best friend and drill team member of shuttle Freedom.
* Ken Hudson Campbell- Max Lennert: Operator of the armadillo, killed when during drilling a gas pocket is released sending the armadillo into outer space with Max inside.
* Steve Buscemi- Rockhound: Geologist of shuttle Freedom.
* Marshall Teague- Colonel Davis: Pilot of shuttle Independence, killed when window of shuttle is broken by space debris and is sucked out of the cockpit.
* Anthony Guidera- Tucker: Co-pilot of shuttle Independence, also killed when window of shuttle breaks.
* Greg Collins- Lt. Halsey: Munitions specialist of shuttle Independence, killed during crash of Independence.
* Ben Affleck- A.J. Frost: leader of shuttle Independence drill team and Grace's love interest.
* Clark Heathcliffe Brolly- Freddy Noonan: member of shuttle Independence drill team, killed during the crash of the Independence.
* Michael Clarke Duncan- Jayotis "Bear" Kurleenbear: Operator of the armadillo for shuttle Independence.
* Owen Wilson- Oscar Choice: Geologist of shuttle Independence, killed during Independence crash due to space debris breaking his visor and striking his face.
* Peter Stormare- Lev Andropov: Russian Cosmonaut who joined the Independence crew after the Russian space station exploded.
Aerosmith - I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing